Check Your Gas Heater To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
With winter approaching, Minister for Energy Lily D’Ambrosio is urging householders to service their gas heaters regularly to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Gas heaters can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide when dust or dirt builds up, ducts become blocked or the combustion process does not properly occur.
Victorians are encouraged to have their gas heaters serviced by a registered gasfitter at least every two years to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. This applies to every type of gas heater including wall units, central heating units, decorative log fires and space heaters – whether they are old or newer appliances.
Exhaust fans in homes can also affect a heater’s performance and draw combustion products back into living areas. Gasfitters with a carbon monoxide analyser can check for carbon monoxide spillage and ensure heaters are working properly to minimise the risk.
The carbon monoxide safety message is highlighted in a new hard-hitting advertising campaign which has been produced by Energy Safe Victoria. The Cold Feet advertisement shows the consequences of not maintaining gas heaters properly, with a shot of a cadaver’s feet designed to send the message that “a faulty gas heater can leave you cold”. The campaign will be seen on TV screens and in cinemas throughout winter.
More information about gas safety can be found on the Energy Safe Victoria website www.esv.vic.gov.au
Quotes attributable to Minister for Energy and Resources, Lily D’Ambrosio:
“There is no room for complacency when it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning – it poses a real risk in every household.”
“To minimise the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, find a gasfitter in your local area and make it a habit to get your gas heater serviced at least every two years.”
“The new carbon monoxide safety campaign will have a strong presence on the television, cinema and on the radio airwaves.”