Helping Communities Fight Ice
Fourteen community groups across Melbourne and regional Victoria will receive funding to help tackle the devastating effects of ice use and addiction in their areas.
Minister for Mental Health Martin Foley today announced the latest recipients of the Andrews Labor Government’s Ice Action Grants, which will develop locally focused action plans to reduce the impact of the drug.
Applications for the grants, which provide $10,000 to each organisation, were encouraged from groups with a focus on improving the safety of the community, Aboriginal Victorians and young people at risk of entering the youth justice system.
Over the past four years, 52 community ice action grants have been awarded totalling more than $500,000.
In 2018-19, the Labor Government is investing a record $259.9 million in drug services – an increase in investment of 57 per cent through the last four Victorian Budgets.
This includes more than doubling the number of residential rehab beds in Victoria – from 208 beds in 2014-15 to more than 450 when all beds are fully operational.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Mental Health, Martin Foley
“We’re supporting locals, who know their area better than anyone, to reduce the harm of ice.”
“These grants will help these community groups fight this terrible drug, which is putting pressure on our hospitals, hurting families and leading to more assaults on paramedics and other first responders.”
“I congratulate all of these community groups, which are working so hard to fight this impact of ice and delivering health prevention activities, education, mentoring and support for vulnerable people.”
- Australian Red Cross Society (West Grampians region)
- Ballarat and District Aboriginal Co-operative (Ballarat)
- Break The Ice Australia (Moonee Valley)
- Frankston Mornington Peninsula Primary Care Partnership (Frankston Mornington Peninsula)
- Kirrae Health Service (Moyne)
- Latrobe Community Health Services Limited (Latrobe Valley, Wellington and Baw Baw Shires)
- Mitchell Shire Council
- Mungabareena Aboriginal Corporation (Wodonga)
- Sports Focus: Loddon Campaspe Sports Assembly (Central Goldfields Shire and Shire of Campaspe)
- Stepping Up Consortium through TaskForce Community Agency (Hastings)
- Sudanese Mothers Coalition in Victoria, Inc. (Melton, Brimbank, Maribyrnong, Wyndham)
- TaskForce Community Agency (Cardinia Shire)
- Thorne Harbour Health (THH) Victorian AIS Council Inc (VAC)
- Wodonga Council (Wodonga)