Revamp For Victoria’s Leading Sexual Health Service
More Victorian women will be able to easily access expert advice on sexual and reproductive health issues, thanks to a modern makeover of the Family Planning Victoria Action Centre in Melbourne.
Minister for Health Jill Hennessy today officially opened the refurbished clinic in the city, made possible by a co-contribution of $50,000 from the Andrews Labor Government.
Family Planning Victoria is the state’s leading provider of services, education and training for sexual and reproductive health issues.
The revamp of its home base will allow more women to get the support and services they need – such as long-acting reversible contraception and medical termination of pregnancies – when they need it.
This includes extending the delivery of contraception to women of all ages, as well as re-launching support groups for same-sex attracted and gender-diverse young people. The service will also be able to offer more training for primary care professionals on women’s reproductive and sexual health issues.
The makeover was part of Victoria’s first-ever Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Plan launched earlier this year, supported by $6.6 million in new funding from the Labor Government.
The strategy includes:
- Providing free facial hair laser treatment for women with polycystic ovary syndrome at the Centre of Excellence in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Delivering family planning training for doctors and nurses, particularly in regional Victoria
- Establishing eight community-based sexual and reproductive health hubs, four of which will be in regional Victoria
- Supporting the continued rollout of endometriosis resources
- Working with Aboriginal women and women with disabilities to improve sexual and reproductive health.
Victorian women will also be able to access confidential, evidence-based advice and support with Women’s Health Victoria, chosen to establish and operate Victoria’s first women’s reproductive health phone line.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Health Jill Hennessy
“For too long women’s sexual and reproductive health issues have been neglected. Services like those offered by Family Planning Victoria are making a real difference in breaking down the barriers and improving access.”
“The revamped Action Centre is, in every way, taking a holistic approach to women’s reproductive and sexual health. It will allow more women across the state to get the timely, expert advice they need – without the stigma.”